This Privacy Notice explains in detail the types of personal data we may collect about you when you interact with us. It also explains how we’ll store and handle that data and how we’ll keep it safe.
We know that there’s a lot of information here, but we want you to be fully informed about your rights and how Rothamsted Centre for Research and Enterprise uses your data;
We hope the following sections will answer any questions you have but if not, please do get in touch with us.
It’s likely that we’ll need to update this Privacy Notice from time to time. We’ll notify you of any significant changes, but you’re welcome to come back and check it whenever you wish.
- What is the Rothamsted Centre for Research and Enterprise?
The Rothamsted Centre for Research and Enterprise is a commercial company owned by the Laws Agricultural Trust, the BBSRC and Rothamsted Research.
- Explaining the legal bases we rely on
The law on data protection sets out several different reasons for which a company may collect and process your personal data, including:
In specific situations, we can collect and process your data with your consent, for example when you tick a box to receive email newsletters.
When collecting your personal data, we’ll always make clear to you which data is necessary in connection with a particular service (for instance, use of the Conference Centre, the Manor House, or tenant opportunities)
In certain circumstances, we need your personal data to comply with our contractual obligations.
For instance, if you are joining us as a tenant, we will need to collect certain details to enable us to prepare tenancy agreements.
If the law requires us to, we may need to collect and process your data.
For instance, we can pass on details of people involved in fraud or other criminal activity affecting us to law enforcement.
We will also use your address details to send you direct marketing information by email and post, telling you about products and services that we think might interest you.
- When do we collect your personal data?
- When you call or email to make an enquiry about the Conference Centre, Manor House, the Daniel Hall building, the Lawes Open Innovation Hub or visit any of our websites and make enquiries on line
- When you engage with us on social media
- When you enter prize draws or competitions
- When you book any kind of appointment with us or make a booking to attend an even (for instance a Christmas Party or conference)
- When you choose to complete any surveys we send you
- When you fill in any forms. For instance, if an accident happens on site you will be required to complete an accident report form
- When you use our car park and buildings which may have CCTV systems operated for the security of both customers and employees. These systems may record your image during your visit
- What sort of personal data do we collect?
- If you make an event enquiry with us we will collect your name, address, email and telephone number
- Payment card information to make the booking
- Your image may be recorded on CCTV when you visit the campus or be used in a visitor’s pass
- How and why do we use your personal data?
- We want to give you the best possible customer experience for your event or stay with us. We need to understand more about you, your company to ensure we can deliver a great service.
- We use your information to offer you promotions, events, opportunities that are most likely to be of interest you.
- The data privacy law allows this as part of our legitimate interest in understanding our customers and providing the highest levels of service. Of course, you are free to opt out of hearing from us by any of these channels at any time.
- To send you relevant, personalised communications by post in relation to updates, offers, services and products. We’ll do this on the basis of our legitimate business interest.
- You are free to opt out of hearing from us by emailing us firstname.lastname@example.org
- How we protect your personal data
We know how much data security matters to all our customers. With this in mind, we will treat your data with the utmost care and take all appropriate steps to protect it.
Access to your personal data is password-protected and we regularly monitor our system for possible vulnerabilities and attacks.
- How long will we keep your personal data?
Whenever we collect or process your personal data, we’ll only keep it for as long as is necessary for the purpose for which it was collected.
- Corporate enquires – if dormant we will delete after 5 years
- Social enquiries – if dormant we will delete after 5 years
- Tenant enquiries – we will keep enquires on file for 10 years to alert you of campus development and expansion opportunities
- Who do we share your personal data with?
We sometimes share your personal data with trusted third parties, such as Rothamsted Research, if there may be an opportunity to collaborate.
What is the policy we apply to those organisations to keep your data safe and protect your privacy?
- We provide only the information they need to perform their specific services
- They may only use your data for the exact purposes we specify in our contract with them
- We work closely with them to ensure that your privacy is respected and protected at all times
- If we stop using their services, any of your data held by them will either be deleted or rendered anonymous
- What are your rights over your personal data?
You have the right to request:
- Access to the personal data we hold about you, free of charge
- The correction of your personal data when incorrect, out of date or incomplete
- Direct marketing - You have the right to stop the use of your personal data for direct marketing activity through all channels, or selected channels. We must always comply with your request
- How can you stop the use of your personal data for direct marketing?
Click the ‘unsubscribe’ link in any email communication that we send you. We will then stop any further emails from that particular area of the portfolio. Please note that you may continue to receive communications for a short period after changing your preferences while our systems are fully updated.